This garden, created by Eleanor Jay Iselin in the 1920s when the adjacent Iselin Wing was built onto the house, was restored in 1965 by Rusticus Garden Club following Mrs. Iselin’s 1924 plans. In the 1990s the club continued to modify the plant material in the Terrace Garden using deer resistant plants and flowers. Under the rose arbor at the western end of the garden is a stone marker honoring the memory of “Old Fred,” the horse that carried Colonel William Jay II through the major battles of the Civil War and safely home again.
- About John Jay
- Digital Content
- House Protection & Restoration