The foundation of this barn is the oldest structure that survives at John Jay Homestead: the stone walls were built in 1787. The wooden part of the barn was rebuilt by John Jay’s son William in the 1830s. It was originally a multi-purpose structure for housing livestock, threshing grain and storage. Nineteenth century modifications include a silo on the north end, which was demolished in 1917, and an addition on the east, which still stands. This portion served as a dairy until 1922 and thereafter as storage space for old carriages. Today it houses an exhibit on farming and one of our Discovery Centers.
- About John Jay
- What We Do
- House Protection & Restoration